Volunteering in Kenya
As an organisation we are committed to our goal of helping the communities we serve to achieve self-sufficiency.
Therefore we only offer volunteering opportunities that will help us to achieve this objective.
We feel that all forms of aid - including labour - should be given in a responsible manner, so we always prefer - where possible - to
employ suitably-qualified local people instead of outside volunteers.
The two volunteering experiences we offer are those which we feel can help us to achieve our goals while respecting the local communities we work in.
A volunteering experience with Development Pamoja is not easy but will prove, we believe, to be a worthwhile experience.
||Someone with special skills or knowledge relating to our work
||Agreed on a case-by-case basis
||To bring/share specialist knowledge or expertise to our work
The following are some examples of areas of expertise which are currently of interest to us:
- innovative farming methods
- early childhood education
- special education
- physiotherapy, nursing, geriatric care, nutrition, midwifery
- community development
||Anyone who is willing to get involved and work hard (this is not a "tourist" experience)
||As arranged with Development Pamoja team (we can accommodate only 2 volunteers at a time)
||Maximum 3 weeks
||To learn about our work and those we help (and after you go home to help us to raise awareness and funds)
Who May Apply
Applicants must be aged 18 years or over and must not have a criminal conviction.
All applicants must be in good health, be of a positive, open-minded and compassionate disposition,
be good with children, not be scared of dirt, physical labour, illness or suffering.
For non-specialist volunteers a minimum donation of €1000 is required prior to arrival in Kenya.
This money will - like all donations - be used to fund our programs in Kenya and will also
cover the volunteer's daily transportation costs.
All money raised using the name Development Pamoja Ltd must be transferred
to us prior to travel; it may not under any circumstances
be used to fund any personal
expenses such as flights, vaccinations, accommodation, fundraising expenses, etc.
Our base is in Mogotio, 43km from the town of Nakuru.
All volunteers will stay in Nakuru as it is not possible to stay in Mogotio; we can assist with organising suitable accommodation once a volunteering position has been approved.
Volunteers will travel to/from Mogotio with Development Pamoja staff using public transport
and onward as a pillion passenger on a motorbike.
All volunteers are required to work 5-6 days per week
(6:30am - 4.00pm, including transportation time of 1 hour each way).
Typically 3 days are spent on the farm while the others are spent working with the
community, office work, education, etc.
- A medical certificate from your General Practitioner stating that
- you are medically fit to serve as a volunteer in Kenya
- you have been vaccinated against all tropical diseases and other health risks to which you may be exposed while a volunteer in Kenya
- A reference from your local Police Station confirming that you have no criminal convictions and are suitable to serve as a volunteer in Kenya.
- A current passport having an expiry date beyond six months from the final day of your visit (the Kenya Visa is obtained on arrival at Nairobi Airport).
- Travel Insurance
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
It is the volunteer's responsibility to organise and fund all travel costs
which are incurred during their stay. As already mentioned, under no circumstances should monies which are raised through fundraising with the name "Development Pamoja Ltd" be used for personal expenses.
The following items are just some of the items which need to be organised
and paid for:
- International flights
- Domestic transport to Nakuru
- Vaccinations: we recommend that all volunteers are vaccinated
according to the latest advice.
- Insurance (medical, travel, etc)
- Kenyan visa
Volunteers must make their own way from Nairobi airport to Nakuru
(matatu busses run from Mololine station to Nakuru and take approximately 2.5 hrs)
where they will be met by a Development Pamoja representative.
The following tourist activities may be arranged locally.
- Hikes from Nakuru include Lake Nakuru National Park, Menengai Crater, Hyrax Hill (Prehistoric Site) and Thompsons Falls.
- Day trips by bus: Lake Bogoria, Kericho Tea fields, Hells Gate, Lake Baringo (Reptile park, boat ride, hippos, crocodiles)
- Safari to Masai Mara (3/4/5 day)
While Development Pamoja staff will take all reasonable steps to secure your safety while working as a volunteer with the organisation you are ultimately responsible for your own health and safety during your visit to Kenya.
Download an application form and email it to us @ email@example.com.
MS Word or PDF